How to Boost Your Metabolism
refers to chemical processes by which food is changed into energy in your body. Increasing your metabolism will allow you to burn calories faster and lose some weight with relative ease. There are some helpful tips to boost your metabolism:
1. Do your best to stay hydrated. Drink a good amount of cold water in order to allow your body perform its vital functions, increasing the calorie burning process with metabolism. Health authorities worldwide agree that 17 ounces of water, consumed on a daily basis, boost the metabolic rates up to 30 per cent. Water is the best appetite suppressant. So, start the day with a large glass of water and drink icy water throughout the day.
2. Do not starve yourself. If you drop your daily calorie intake under 1,000 kcal, your body will go into "starvation mode". Your metabolism will slow down in order to conserve energy and prevent starvation. Extending the time between meals will lead to the same result. So, the best advice of nutrition specialists is to eat small meals more frequently: having four to six healthy meals per day is recommended. Eat the larger part of your food earlier in the day and avoid late dinners (after 7 p.m.).
3. Make sure you do enough exercise. Performing different cardiovascular exercises, such as jogging and cycling, will result in the burning of a large amount of calories and will boost your metabolism. Weight training or some resistance exercises performed two or three times a week can help you build muscular tissue. Maintaining the body's muscle tissue burns six calories daily compared to four calories needed for the maintenance of fat mass.
4. Eat food that is rich in protein and high fiber carbs. While preparing your daily menu, keep in mind that one gram of protein or carbohydrates produces 4 calories compared to 9 calories from fat. Processing carbohydrates from foods that are rich in fibers takes longer time and burns much more calories than while you are having low fiber carbs
. So, if you aim to increase your metabolism, you should eat more grains and row vegetables and fruits.
Here are some diet-friendly foods
that help you boost your metabolism.
1. Green tea – it has nice taste and flavor and increases the rate of your metabolism. This fantastic herb contains several anti-cancer substances as well.
2. Grapefruit - if you only have half a grapefruit with each meal, over a three-month period, you would lose at least three pounds. Grapefruit definitely helps you burn bodily fat.
3. Apples (or pears) - consume them as a high-fiber and low-calorie snack, and you will feel full over a longer period of time.
4. Soup - a large bowl of vegetarian or chicken soup, consumed as a snack or an appetizer, is a perfect appetite suppressant and an effective metabolic booster.
5. Low-fat yogurt - it is rich in substances such as calcium and protein. Yogurt also contains bacteria that are good for your digestive system.